Instructions for Use
- Unscrew Cap.
- Extract the plug carefully. Use a firm grip to avoid dropping.
- Rinse inside and outside of the bottom part of the blind plug with 5-10mL of water while holding it over the beaker to capture the liquid.
- Pour entire contents of the Standardette® Solution into the beaker.
- Rinse the inside of the ampule 5 times with intermediate swirling into the beaker. Use 5- 10mL of water for each rinse.
- Top up volume in beaker to ~80mL with DI water.
- Add 1 drop of Phenolphthalein (1% in EtOH) Indicator Solution.
- Rinse a 50mL burette twice with approximately 10mL of the basic solution.
- Clamp the burette in position and fill the burette to just above the zero mark with the basic solution.
- Release any bubbles from the tip of the burette.
- Bring the basic solution meniscus down to or below the zero mark, read, and record the burette reading to the nearest 0.01mL.
- Stir vigorously while titrating.
- Watch for the growth of a pink spot, indicating a local excess of the titrant, as you approach the end point.
- Slow the rate of addition of the basic solution, when the pink color begins to persist momentarily outside the place where the solutions mix.
- Add fractions of a drop of titrant using a glass stir rod.
- Stop as soon as the first permanent pale pink color appears and stays for at least 30 seconds. This is the endpoint.
- Read the burette to the nearest 0.01mL.
- Complete the titration in exactly 3 minutes.
- Correct the volume of titrant to 20°C.
- Normality = Meq on the label /mL of basic solution used